Monday, July 24, 2017

"I presuppose..."

At church yesterday a girl in her early 20's that I'd never seen
before came up to Elder Davis and I after sacrament meeting and asked
us for a blessing. Turns out she's from Maryland and is down here for
a Shakespeare camp at Blackfriars Playhouse which is a really nice
Shakespeare  theatre in downtown Staunton. She didn't really give us
any details about what she was struggling with but we told her we
would be happy to give her a blessing. I was able to give her the
blessing and as we were finding an empty room to do it in I was a
little worried about what I was going to say, I mean she didn't really
give me much to work with. Usually when I give someone a blessing I
feel like I'm fishing for words and don't know quite what to say. This
time however I knew exactly what to say and how to say it, it was so
cool. She was in tears by the end of the blessing and the whole room
was filled with the spirit. She had to leave after that but asked us
for 3 copies of the Book of Mormon just in case anyone was curious at
the camp.

That night we went and saw Cehyla and she had finished Ether!! We were
able to read the first 7 chapters of Moroni with her and talk about
them so she should be finished by next week. I know I say this every
time I talk about her but it has been such a cool experience to watch
someone read through the whole Book of Mormon and see how it changes
them. On our way out we said hi to this guy that was definitely
wearing eye shadow, he called out to us a few seconds after we passed
him and said "Tell Joseph Smith I said hi!" We laughed and then he
added "that's right, I know who you are", it was pretty funny.

Then on Saturday we were street contacting downtown when we walked
past this guy sitting on some steps. The best way I can describe him
is a black Albert Einstein with a grey Afro. We offered him a card and
all he said in reply was "let me ask you a question, what does it mean
in the Bible when it says 'in the beginning was the word, and the word
was with god, and the word was god'?" We thought about it for a moment
and gave him our best answer, he agreed with us and then starting
asking more questions. It was at least a 20 minute conversation that
quickly turned into him telling us we were wrong about the Book of
Mormon. He kept saying things like "I presuppose the Bible is the word
of God, therefore the Book of Mormon is false" or "I presuppose that
God would not give more scripture" and all this other stuff. Near the
end of our conversation he got really serious. He stood up and got
really close to us, like nose to nose, and told us that we better be
very confident of our beliefs because if we're wrong, we're going to
hell. Then he smiled, shook our hands, told us he'd pray we found the
truth, and went on his merry way. People like that used to make me so
mad but now I just laugh and keep trying to find the people who are
ready to listen to us.

Alright now an update on Dawn, we are 88.7% sure that she is in fact
NOT a member. So hopefully she will be baptized in the coming weeks.
She came to church again yesterday but was only able to stay for the
first hour since she was tired from working all night. She also came
to the ward party Saturday night which was so fun. There was plenty of
food and a ton of games. I got my butt kicked in ping pong by the
Young Men's President and Elder Davis is the new stick pull champion
of the Staunton ward (I'll include the video). We also played
kickball, and let me just say that if anyone thinks ward basketball
gets heated, you should see kickball with the Staunton ward.

We also helped Brother Johnson, a member in the ward, start building
his chicken coop, that was fun. That's the nice thing about Staunton,
everyone has a ton of land and they can build whatever they want on
it. We also helped him build part of his patio, there's gonna be some
bench swings with a big fire pit in the middle. He said he'd invite us
over for s'mores once it was finished so hopefully I'm still around
when the time comes.

On Wednesday we went to the old branch building that's in Staunton for
district meeting since we had gotten the keys the day before. When we
got there though we realized that the Bishop had given us the wrong
key, so we had to sit there for 20 minutes until the 1st counselor
came to unlock it for us.

That's about it for this week folks. Transfer calls are this Saturday
so if you're going to send me something after this Wednesday I'd hold
off until I know if I get to stay here in Staunton. I love serving the
people here in Virginia and I meet someone each day that makes the
whole experience worth it. Love y'all!!


Elder Critchfield 🙏🏻
107 Community Way
Apt. 522
Staunton, VA 24401

Pics
1. Sick hammock on a members deck
2. Waiting for the branch building to be unlocked
3. The YW had Utah cookies since one of them is leaving for BYU
4. Stick pull champ

5. Cow Whisperer








No comments:

Post a Comment