Monday, January 23, 2017

Doors Knocked: 347

Hey y'all, things in Virginia are going pretty slow haha. I haven't been counting but I would say we've knocked a couple hundred doors this week. It's all good though, we are staying positive and literally doing EVERYTHING we can to find people. We walked into a funeral home to try and put our names on the list of clergy who will talk to people, you should have seen the look on the receptionists face, she was super confused haha.

So we had a funny experience and the best way for me to describe is just to walk you through one step at a time. Okay so we are tracting in this super rich neighborhood, really nice houses, and lots of old people. We go and knock on this door an old dude answers and says "hey there boys!! How's it going, come on inside its cold". So at this point we are super excited, I mean when someone invites you inside it's almost always a good sign. Notice I said almost haha. So this guy invites us in and asks us who we are, we introduce ourselves as missionaries, and then he says "Well boys, you've found probably the only person who's not Christian, I'm a Jew". Now I don't know why people out here always think that we don't want to talk to them because their not Christian. Anyways, after he said that he dove right into his life story. He talked about how he was a golf caddy when he was younger and how it built character or some bogus thing like that. We made a joke and said "there were no golf carts back then?", and he got all upset and said "golf carts are for *not nice word*" it was hilarious. He then proceeded to give us a 45 minute history lesson (we timed it) on his Jewish ancestors who survived the holocaust, escaped to Russia, and then fought in WW2 with Patton??? I don't know he was really confusing, I probably would have failed if there was a test at the end. After that he talked about the election and here are his exact words "Now Trump, thats a smart man right there, he might be a little rude but who are else are you gonna vote for? Certainly not Hillary, she's a loser. I know these people, I'm a chemist, they're not going to brainwash me". You also have to read all of what he says with your best Jewish accent for the full effect.

Other than the crazy Jewish dude this week was pretty uneventful, but I'm sure we will start to find some solid people. When we do I'll be sure to tell y'all all about them!! I've decided that the trick to a mission, life, and pretty much everything is positivity. And theres a quote from President Hinkley that I absolutely love, it's probably one of my favorites. I'll include it in the bottom. Anyway, I love you all, I love Virginia, I love my savior, and I love my mission. Talk to y'all next week!

“When I was a young man and was prone to speak critically, my father would say: ‘Cynics do not contribute, skeptics do not create, doubters do not achieve.’" -Gordon B. Hinckley

Pics
1. Savage investigator named Harold
2. The new album cover for "Griffin & Critchfield: Legacy"
3. The District
4. When you just can't decide what material to use (totally knocked it)
5. Scripture humor with the Zone Leaders ( you have to read the scriptures)






No comments:

Post a Comment